C42 development blog

This thread is for updates regarding our upcoming C42 C.

The following screenshots show an alpha version during an early-morning flight from EDAH to EDCP. The C42 is the aircraft I learn flying with, and the particular plane shown is a quite exact replica of the actual D-MYSF, in which I'll spend many more hours.

IkarusC42C_1.jpg

IkarusC42C_3.jpg

IkarusC42C_4.jpg

IkarusC42C_6.jpg

IkarusC42C_7.jpg

IkarusC42C_8.jpg

I esp. already like its flying behavior (it's quite close already to what I experience with the real D-MYSF) and that we actually have semi-transparent fabric on the wings and tail (where you can see through and notice the aluminium struts).

There is still a lot to be done until the plane reaches beta state, in all areas: visuals (esp. the interior), sounds (this is the first time we'll use the help of a professional audio engineer to record the C42's sounds), systems (well... it does not have many), flight model refinements, menus (the usual vFlyteAir stuff, plus a virtual walkaround) and VR support (once published, the model will actually part of a research project on the training possibilities of X-Plane and VR for real-world flight training for small flying schools and flying clubs).

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aloha!

So I got that right: You're working on a nice Ikarus C42 and somewhere in the future (some Month or a Year... uhmmm) we can fly this little bird?

This is great news. I am looking forward to trying it out! BTW you probably know there is an existing C42 available usable in X-Plane 11 from Barry Roberts. I have flown it quite a bit as I am learning to fly on C42s at the moment. This C42 model has several areas that could be improved on. For example modelling engine instrument behaviour (temperature/pressure)  to be similar to the real aircraft, trim tab speed, A/C stability. I find a flight on X-plane is a good refresh prior to a flight, especially for procedures and checks, as well as researching a cross country and a new airport & runway. However for flying feel I need to fly the actual aircraft. It is a visceral experience.

@Mario Donick

could you give us some information as to the expected avionics package? A choice between glass and steam would once again be most welcome :) one of the things that makes the C42 popular is the number of panel options!

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I wrote a short article for Air Facts Journal about overcoming my (own) fear of flying by taking flight lessons in the C42 -- the one which is the base for our model.

https://airfactsjournal.com/2018/04/treating-my-fear-of-flying-with-flying/

On 8.3.2018 at 1:11 AM, Rictus said:

could you give us some information as to the expected avionics package? A choice between glass and steam would once again be most welcome :) one of the things that makes the C42 popular is the number of panel options!

The D-MYSF will be 100% like the real D-MYSF, i.e. everything old-fashioned: altimeter, airspeed indicator, RPM gauge (digital), vertical speed indicator, several analogue gauges for oil and fuel, and a COM radio. The D-MYSF has no transponder, no GPS, no artificial horizon, no gyrocompass or any other stuff.

We will offer optional equipment, though, but I have not yet decided if I incorporate my half-finished Dynon D100, or if I go for the Garmin G5 (which I prefer). There will also be an optional GPS, but the typical Garmin devices (GNS430, GTN650) are relatively uncommon in this class of aircraft. Maybe I simply use the GNS anyway, but behind a modified bezel.

Avionics is even a factor for weight. An ultra light (UL) like the C42 in Germany has a maximum takeoff weight of 472,5 kg, at least until the current legal steps to increase ultra light's MTOW to 600 kg are finished. If you have to plan with such small numbers, even avionics can be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, exactly opposite to your starting position I have parked yesterday my Mooney in FSEconomy for a short stop in EDBM on my way from EDAZ to EDXW. Okay, only in X-Plane. But it is the same or? :D

Anyway fantastic video. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am really looking forward to your C42 to fly it around Berlin in X-Plane :)

• 1 month later...

Here are some screenshots of the current development state.

First, the "basic trainer" cockpit:

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_3.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_2.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_1.jpg

Now some exterior screenshots of the main livery based on my flying school:

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_6.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_8.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_9.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_10.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_12.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_13.jpg

There are 12 additional liveries included, plus the vFlyteAir default livery (look closely, then you can see a glimpse of the "full panel" cockpit):

IkarusC42C_FullPanel_3.jpg

... and in case you're feeling a bit adventurous, we may also share the following as optional download (really just a joke for my personal entertainment):

IkarusC42C_FullPanel_1.jpg

If it flies as it already looks, I really can't wait for it. This is amazing and since I love those small birds, my wallet is already prepared!

Thanks, guys.

DONE:

• modelling of exterior and interior
  • basic flight model (took a lot of tinkering; it's flyable fine now, but still a bit different to the real C42)
  • "trainer" and "full" panel versions (the full panel also just VFR-equipped, because IFR is a no-go for C42s)
  • on the full panel:
    • electronic engine monitoring device for the Rotax 912
    • electronic artificial horizon
    • a (very simplified) model of the FlyMapL GPS, allowing to enter a short flight plan with up to 5 waypoints (moving map based on Laminar's G1000 map) and a "PFD" mode with horizon, altitude tape, speed tape and VVI
    • transponder

TODO:

• record the sounds and, with the sounds, create FMOD environment
  • fix some modelling bugs (like the wrong material on the trim tabs on the tail)
  • adjust flight model to require less trimming (in the real C42, we rarely use trim, in X-Plane it's a bit hard to achieve that).
  • improve the FlyMapL in certain areas
  • add menus
  • add pilots to the cockpit

In the last days I had a lot of real-world traffic pattern training (to be continued…), so I could give Walker a lot of feedback regarding the flight model. The real C42 is flying very gently. It feels to me like a "friendly" little plane, and for me it is important that this feeling is conveyed by our model, too.

One main difference to the two C42s I fly in real life in contrast to our model will be trim setting. In the C42s I fly, default trim is quite nose-down (way below the "neutral" marking on the trim indicator). For our virtual model, we first tried to have the same trim setting, but when we model the rest of the plane by the official numbers, this does not lead to a good flight behaviour. By good I mean that in real life, I rarely need to trim, esp. not during traffic pattern training. After a lot of experimenting, we found out that a slight upward trim works way better, i.e. leads to a more stable and friendly flight behaviour.

Here's a preview of all 13 (+1 unofficial) liveries that will be included:

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_1.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_2.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_3.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_4.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_5.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_6.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_7.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_8.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_9.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_10.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_11.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_13.jpg

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_14.jpg

The unofficial one for "Battlestar Galactica" Colonial Viper fans (probably as optional download, not in the main package):

IkarusC42C_BasicTrainer_15.jpg

Wow!!!!!

I've had a go in a C42, my first gen home cockpit was based on it because it was so simple, the only reason I changed in the end was for a bit more speed and versatility for cross country and better weather performance, since I'm not planning to have lots of cockpits!

If it wasn't for that, the C42 would still be my choice, it's a lovely thing to fly (although I'd prefer it if the one I flew had the electronic flap control upgrade! The roof handle is a pig!)

If you need a beta tester I'm happy to give it some time. I remember how the C42 performs :)

You won't be disappointed! There's something deeply satisfying about a max speed of 85kts, the minimal amount of instruments not distracting you from flying visually... If you want to improve your flying skills you can't go far wrong... Plus it's a tight, solid, joyful little thing to fly!

In the last days, we further optimized the trim of the plane. We are currently adding cowl flaps (these are optional; the D-MYSF on which I learn most of the time does not have these, but the D-MNLN which I flew yesterday has these), and improving some general details of modelling and texturing. We also started to add pilots. You'll have a choice between 3 persons (simple 3D models with the faces of me, my wife, and my flight instructor :D ).

Walker is experimenting with the effects of the winglets, and then he'll work on the options menus. Usually, we use SASL for this, but to make the menus work in VR, he has to take on his C++ skills. It may take a while until the menus are ready.

Next Thursday, I'm going to do audio recordings with a friend of mine who is audio engineer and whom we pay to help us with this task.

I've also started with the user manual. It will be included in both German and English language.

Today we were recording C42 interior and exterior sounds :) It was great fun and quite successful. The sounds now have to be post-processed and cut into single files we can import in the FMOD project of our plane.

Here a just some photos:

20180614_163704.jpg

20180614_163751.jpg

20180614_163817.jpg

20180614_164939.jpg

The nice guys on the photos are Ramon (a professional audio engineer) and Kendy (a fellow C42 pilot at our airport), who both helped us in the process (Ramon made the recordings, Kendy operated the engine). Thanks a lot to both of them.

On the following photo I'm pushing the plane to our parking (and recording) position with Ramon recording inside to get roll recordings without the engine sounds:

35230132_2247633988587135_7889479087343796224_n.jpg

11 minutes ago, svero said:

And every buyer of the vFA C42 gets a sightseeing flight around EDBM with the original? ;)

Now that's the sort of excellent customer service we've come to know and love from VFA :D

46 minutes ago, svero said:

And every buyer of the vFA C42 gets a sightseeing flight around EDBM with the original? ;)

Lol. Nice idea but this way we'd be out of business within 24 hours XD

Look on the bright side, the high cost of real flying is doing wonders for the simulation market!!

Archived