Oil Temperature

1 hour ago, Neunundachtzig said:

After a "long" flight my indicator says about 50 degrees celsius... Becaus this is in the yellow part i think it should rise a little more?!

This is something I have noticed during the beta tests too. During a long, cross-country flight from EDAZ to EDBM (a little more then 65 NM since I was following the A2 as orientation "point") in the "touring" version I had an oil temperature between 55 and 62 °C all the time. I had reported it to Mario. So if this is still the case in the now released version I would assume that it is okay. But maybe Mario can see more :) I have not flown the released version yet on a long flight.

Hi guys,

yes, you're right. Sven, I think I forgot to add this one to our TODO list. Sorry.

On the following photo (which I took during my flight from EDBM to EDBK (and continued to ETNL) a few weeks ago) you can see that the indicator is slightly below the green arc after 50 minutes of engine running. It may be a calibration issue, but it's nevertheless not nicely centered in the green area. Still, it's about 20 °C higher than we currently have in our model, so we'll fix it.

20180806_153840.jpg

21 hours ago, Mario Donick said:

Hi guys,

yes, you're right. Sven, I think I forgot to add this one to our TODO list. Sorry.

On the following photo (which I took during my flight from EDBM to EDBK (and continued to ETNL) a few weeks ago) you can see that the indicator is slightly below the green arc after 50 minutes of engine running. It may be a calibration issue, but it's nevertheless not nicely centered in the green area. Still, it's about 20 °C higher than we currently have in our model, so we'll fix it.

20180806_153840.jpg

Thx for the quick reply,

nice to see that it will be fixed soon.

Also it seems to me that the Temperature rise is a bit quick. In the Real C42C i need almost 5 Minutes to reach 50° (after Cold and Dark, at 2000rpm, cooling flap full open and around 25° OAT). In the Sim under same conditions the 50° is reached in no time. 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:43 AM, Marvin_0 said:

Temperature rise is a bit quick

On 9/17/2018 at 8:49 AM, Chris Gall said:

the Oil temperature rise is very quick on this model

I forwarded this issue to Walker, who told me following:

The CHT is handled internally by X-Plane, and it seems to be based on a simple proportion between MAX CHT and time. The higher the engine’s max CHT value, the longer it takes X-Plane to reach minimum and normal operating ranges. For instance, the Ikarus’s max CHT is 135 C, and it takes X-Plane 1 minute and 44 seconds for the Ikarus to reach 50 C at idle speed. 50 C is  37% of max. By comparison, the Cessna 172’s max CHT is 260 C (almost twice as high as the Ikarus), and it takes X-Plane 3 ½ minutes to reach 37% of max (96 C), almost exactly twice as long as the Ikarus. So, it seems to be a linear equation.

However, X-Plane does allow a plugin to write to the CHT ratio-to-max  dataref (sim/flightmodel/engine/ENGN_CHT[0]), so it is possible to devise some LUA code that can lengthen the time it takes the Ikarus  to reach 50 C CHT.

Probably the best way to do this is to make the CHT value a fraction of the X-Plane dataref if it is below 50 C. After 50 C, we can return control back to X-Plane.

I’ll try to figure out a clever way of doing this…

Now this is about CHT -- I asked him if this applies for oil temperature, too. I'm sure we'll find a way to improve this a bit.

I noticed that the oil temperature is now very high in climb, no matter what RPM I set the engine. If I climb at the suggested 110 km/h (about 60 kts) the needle easily goes up to the red line and I have to climb at much higher speeds (about 140km/h, 80 kts) to keep it below. I am mostly flying the basic trainer panel.

2 hours ago, FlyAgi said:

I noticed that the oil temperature is now very high in climb

Correct, I noticed that too today. I guess this happened after the last update. There it was too slow, now it is too fast. I add it to Walker's todo list 😜

In general, I'm afraid we can't get the oil temperature to a good range. Here's what Walker found out after some more experimenting:

I thought at first that X-Plane calculates the oil temp based on CHT or EGT, but I was wrong –  after testing, they don’t seem related at all.

The problem is that the datarefs related to oil temperature are all read-only, so we can’t change them with plugin code. I thought maybe that we could change another dataref like CHT and thereby affect the oil temp, but that didn’t work.

I think the real problem is that X-Plane determines the rate of oil temp rise based on a typical GA aircraft engine, which runs at RPMs that are 2.4 times slower than the Rotax engine.  To test this theory, I loaded the Ikarus with an outside air temp (X-Plane sets the initial engine oil temp = to outside air temp) of 30 C. I started the engine and allowed it to idle at 2,000RPM. It took 40 seconds to reach 50 C.

I then loaded the Cessna 172 with the same outside air temperature, and pushed the throttle up to 2.000 after engine start. It took 50 seconds to reach 50 C, similar time to the Ikarus. However, at the default idle speed of the Cessna (about 700 RPM), it took much longer.

So, for now, I think we are stuck with a limitation of X-Plane. I don’t think X-Plane makes any adjustments for a high-revving, geared-down engine like the Rotax.

Now there are two possibilities:

1. We don't display actual temperatures, but convert the actual values to more-Rotax-like values. So you would see more realistic values, but in the background the default X-Plane values are still at work. Fake values, so to say.

2. We develop our very own engine model -> I'm afraid that's not going to happen, because, for one, we are not really able to do such work, and if we were, this would be a completely different product with a price much higher, and probably DRM.

I think the fake values are a good idea... as long as there is no damage simulation I think it's not relevant to the user what is going on under the hood but the readings are important for have a proper illusion of reality.

Archived